Unwanted chatter

Discussion in 'CNC Cutting' started by Darren, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Darren

Darren Member

chatter bumps.jpg
    Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it please. I am getting very frustrated with the chatter. I know somethings out of whack and i can't figure out what.. thanks in advance chatter bumps.jpg

2. LECS-Chad

LECS-Chad Guest

Is it in all directions or just one axis? Take some photos of the machine and lifter station and send to support. Looks like mechanical but I've seen torch/lifter station configurations and mounting issues that cause this. support@torchmate.com

3. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

Hard to help when you don't mention what table you have. It is likely mechanical, figure out where the slop is coming from and go from there, grab the bottom of the torch and try moving back and forth in the x and the y direction to see where it is coming from. If your table has a slide and cassette then the cassette can be adjusted to take up the backlash, remove the 1/2" tool mounting plate, one of the jaws on the cassette is adjustable either on top or bottom there will be a 1/4" rubber plug and inside is a set screw, loosen the allen bolts that secure this jaw and snug up the set screw and check for play, (see exploded view of cassette). Reassemble and see if that fixes it.

Attached Files:

Darren likes this.
  4. Darren

Darren Member

Im sorry I didn't tell what kind of table I have.. its a 2x2 growth series table and hypertherm powermax 45. it chatters in most directions I checked and there is slop in the cassette. I will try to adjust it and go from there..

Attached Files:

5. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

Well it was a good try, maybe my post will help someone else that has a slide and cassette :) Thanks for updating what table you have.

6. LECS-Chad

LECS-Chad Guest

Also... You lifter station and torch. Where the torch is located on the lifter is pretty high allowing the torch tip to wobble. So take off the 90 degree bracket and mount direct to the tool mounting bracket. Then lower the lifter station 1 set of bolt holes down. Then lower the lifter station all the way down. Adjust the torch body so that with consumables it goes past the top of the slat by about 1/4 - 1/2". Clamp it down. This will give the torch a little more stability and you will see it in the cuts.
    OBVIOUSLY if you have mechanical slop that will need to get fixed also.

Darren likes this.
  7. Darren

Darren Member

I re-adjusted everything and took the 90 off.. cuts great! 100% improvement for where it was! I think it was the combo of both the internals and the height of the torch.. THANKS GUYS!!

LECS Mark and LECS-Chad like this.