Torch dives after cut instead of retracting

Discussion in 'CNC Cutting' started by GarageNerd, Jun 28, 2018.

1. GarageNerd

GarageNerd Active Member

Just moved to sp1. Ideas?

2. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

The torch is doing what it is programmed to do, SP1 works a little differently than V2 of the software you were using. 1st set your torch height higher, it should be 1/8" below the top of the slats with the lifter at the bottom of its travel. Next go to Machine Settings and set Axis 3 so that the Minimum position is -6.75 and the Maximum position is at Zero. Reason for this is the Retract Height is the distance from the bottom of its travel.

LECS-Chad likes this.
  3. rdn09

rdn09 Member

Hi, Do you know why this might be the case with a Growth Series table? My torch reaches the end of the program then always heads straight down to the table unless I manually stop the program. I tries the above change, but no luck.
    I am running VMD 4.0.42.

4. stjefrey

stjefrey Member

This worked for me,
    While running is the AUTO. Make sure you are using Sample Voltage as this will monitor the voltage while it is running and adjust based on the feedback.

During cutting, verify that your voltage is stable. Also make sure your work ground is clamped to the material.

5. rdn09

rdn09 Member

Ahh I see, I misunderstood the issue here. My tables Z problem is different, the table will run the entire program without issues (for the most part). Its not until the end when it goes to the origin that it decides that end location is about 1/4 into my material every single time.

6. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

With a Growth Series, Reset Z at the top of its travel. Under Job Setup, jog the Z down till you have 2" of clearance, change Retract Mode to Partial and press Set for Retract Position. In between cuts the torch should be retracting to clearance height and at the end of the job torch should retract all the way to the top. If after confirming the proper procedures are in place it still does not do as expected then reload the configuration. Under Machine Settings click Load Configuration, leave all check boxes un-checked, choose the correct configuration leaving box un-checked press Ok then press Factory Reset, close and restart the software. Configuration changes you will need to make under Machine Settings and Inputs Tab, Cap Sense Debounce Time is 10, Breakaway 1 and 2 Debounce is 300. Note if Breakaway 2 is lit when Z is at the top of its travel then change Breakaway 2 from Pause to User.

7. rdn09

rdn09 Member

I do set up the partial retract distance and it works fine. It will run the program go up and down as intended, then at the very end the torch moves to the origin of the program and lastly plunges straight down to the table. I will try the second part of the procedure later today hopefully that fixes it.