My Lead-Ins Suck - Please Help

Discussion in 'CNC Cutting' started by Michael Franz, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Michael Franz

Michael Franz Member

Howdy ya'll,

I am struggling with creating smooth lead-ins, I'm cutting 14 ga mild steel, and using a .125" lead in @ 45 degrees. It doesn't seem to matter how long I make the lead-in, I still get a nice gouge in the side of my part. The only thing I can think of is the regulator on the flexcut was set to 50-60 psi instead of 80 psi. I have yet to make a cut after correcting the pressure issue. Other than that, is there any other variables I can alter or components I should check to fix/improve this issue? Attached below is a detail photo.

Thanks,

Mike

Equipment:

Torchmate 4800
    Flexcut 80
    40 Amp Consumables (Non-Finecut)

Attached Files:

2. xardion

xardion Member

That does look like a pretty big gouge. Could you please post a screenshot of what your toolpath looks like in CAD before you cut?

3. Michael Franz

Michael Franz Member

Here it is:

Attached Files:

4. xardion

xardion Member

Thanks for the pic! Interesting, even in your corners (no lead-in) it is still "gouging". Hm. Can you turn off "show tool diameter" so it is just the tool path? Though I am not sure that is going to help. Also, double-click the tool path so it brings up the node-editing (with tool diameter off). So it should look something like this...

Oh, and one more thing. When you are creating your tool path, do you have the correct kerf width set in your tool options?

upload_2021-7-22_10-53-2.png

LECS Hunter likes this.
  5. Michael Franz

Michael Franz Member

I do have the correct kerf width set, and I will say the corners are my mistake. They are at too sharp of an angle and the kerf can't fit, so it leaves a hole, (I'll probably fix this by increasing the size of the part, or modifying the corners). Here is the tool path in node-edit mode with the "show tool diameter" set to off:

Attached Files:

LECS Hunter likes this.
  6. xardion

xardion Member

Everything seems OK. Would you mind posting the CDL file? Have you checked all the physical connections around the torchhead and assembly to make sure nothing is loose? I used to use 45, but I find I usually get better results with an arc or 90 lead-in. Have you tried either of those?

LECS Hunter likes this.
  7. Michael Franz

Michael Franz Member

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I cannot post the .cdl file for business reasons. I'll let you know if the 90 degree lead in makes a difference, and I'll check up on that torchhead.

Thanks again.

LECS Hunter likes this.
  8. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner Active Member

This doesn't help your original question but on those holes from node edit on the tool path I would grab the node for the lead in and drag it to the center of the hole so it's not burning twice on that bottom edge.

xardion likes this.
  9. Michael Franz

Michael Franz Member

10. LECS-Chad

LECS-Chad Guest

Change the LEAD IN angle to 90. This will help the circles with the tool path playing down vs. being poked out. Also, add a little bit of a LEAD OUT, .06 with a 45 degree angle. this will tail out the "stop of the plasma which is causing the dent in the first place.

11. Michael Franz

Michael Franz Member

Thanks! I'll definitely try that.