Metal shaping 77 trans am tail spoiler

Discussion in 'General Fabrication' started by Schroeder, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Guys, I'm looking for help on the best way to form this out of metal. I have the harbor freight English wheel, harbor freight shrinker/stretcher set, and the harbor freight bead roller with its stock dies .

There is curvature across the long center piece (width of the car) on the top and bottom edge of the piece as well as curvature on the front and rear faces (the slopes on front and back aren't flat). In my attached pics I had a center section marked up with numbers. I had planned on making the piece from about 4 different cuts and welding them together. I think I should try to do it with less .If the front, back, and top edge could be one bend and form piece that'd be great, but I don't know how I'd ever get any dies or tools in the sharp, steep top edge of the spoiler to generate the small 3/16" or so wide top edge. How would I put the curvature in this area? Unless I wheeled out the desired curvature ahead of time? Also, should small pieces with the same shape as the end profiles (labeled #1 in the pic) be welded throughout the spoiler for support? I think I'd only be able to reach so far into it once it was bent up and just make a few TIG tacks. It appears some English wheel work needs done in the directions of #5 &6 in the pics .The quarter pieces are even more complex. I suppose they need addressed too, but I'd like to start with the center piece as a warm up because this will be hard enough for me. I've used my metal shaping tools before but never on a VISIBLE body panel .

Attached Files:

2. Mark S.

Mark S. Member

Start out by building a wire frame. Make the front, back and top edges of the spoiler out of 3/16th's rod. Build the shape right on the car. Use your "gussets" to tie the rod together and also attach the spoiler to the car. You can then use that as your buck as you are shaping the spoiler. The compound curve is tuff but, if you start by pulling the sheet metal the long way through your wheel, you can build the cross-car crown. A little short side work with the wheel should get it to snuggle up to the buck without a lot of work. If you use thin poster board to mock up the sheet metal pieces that will give you good insight as to how much and where you will have to work the steel pieces to get the shapes right.
    Keep us posted...
    Mark

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Member

Thanks, Mark. Do you buy your 3/16" stock in hot rolled steel? This method seems to mirror a method suggested on another forum. Still haven't chosen between this or another method yet. I hope to get some time on it this weekend.