Making a cut path

Discussion in 'CNC Cutting' started by Dan Turner, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Dan Turner

Dan Turner Well-Known Member

Again with this is so simple, why did I have a problem with it???

When I draw, I always want my part to be in the (0,0) position on the table.

When I finished drawing a part and I was satisfied with the result, I created a male cut path. When I went to the machine output to cut the image to a .gm file, an error message came up saying there was nothing to cut. After much experimentation and walking away from the table for a breather, I figured it out. When I created the cut path, the drawing went into (-0, -0). Once I moved the drawing into positive territory and onto the drawing plane, it cut just fine.

I hope that this helps someone else.

2. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

Happens more than I care to admit, I am sure others will find this useful, lol.

3. OcalaWill

OcalaWill Well-Known Member

This is interesting, but how can there be a -0,-0 and where would that be?

4. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

He means outside of the material border lines, dark black lines that can either represent your material size to so you know how much material you have to work with such as nesting or can represent the size of your table (found under Layout Material Size). If you were to drop your part at the lower left corner of material, then you create your tool path, your tool path will now be hanging outside of your material by the distance of your kerf, you would then need to select it and drag it back to 0, 0.

5. OcalaWill

Ok makes sense. So the machine is not capable of going beyond 0,0 into the negative quadrants? Thanks.

6. Kchoghead

Kchoghead Well-Known Member

Been there done that...now I draw anywhere on the screen, cut path, then type 0 in the x and y coordinates total get the cut path drawing ready to export to vmd

7. OcalaWill

So how do you move a part in VMD window? I encountered just today this situation and unlike the TM CAD window you cannot select the part and move it in a traditional sense (or can you?). How do you move it?? Thanks.

8. bigjoe

bigjoe Well-Known Member

ocalawill sorry cant help you , you have already gotten farther than I am . so far so good with the setup ? just installed vmd software and doing the trial thing its not working for me very well . am putting this thing to bed gonna try in am fresh start. my head is reeling trying to learn windows and this program all at once. the guys at tm have been awesome , spoke to them 3x today i'll get it it just may take a longer than the average time

9. Kchoghead

Kchoghead Well-Known Member

You cannot move the part in vmd. Wherever the part is in tm cad when you export to vmd it'll be at those coordinates. That's why you have to move the part to 0

10. OcalaWill

BigJoe,
    I am still setting up. I had to order a 60 amp plug and recepticle for the FC80 - they are hard to find (and expensive)! Then I have to run new wiring to the recepticle box. I actually did run new 6ga wiring beforehand but I only ran 2 hots and a ground - didn't realize the FC80 also needed a common - darn! I am still wire tying cables and making sure stuff moves in the carriers, etc. without tugging. Cant tell you how many wire ties I've wasted!

I am just playing with the VMD software. Trying to figure it out. It is more complex than the CAD software for sure. Take your time and keep at it, you'll figure it out. TM tech support has been great, you are right about that, I have called them several times now.

One last thing. I bought this machine really blind. I wasnt able to see one in person so I did a lot of research and went with Lincoln TM and I have to say this is a beautifully made machine - everything quality. If it runs as well as it looks I am going to be very happy.

11. OcalaWill

Thanks Doug. What about the parts library in VMD? I resized a part and a portion went off the table.

12. inkognito

inkognito Member

You can digitise an origin or manually enter a home offset to add a translation.

The simplest way to setup is generate the cad file with the origin at (0,0). Use plate alignment to digitise a corner and edge of the plate. The controller will automatically calculate the translation and rotation angle.