First sign build done. Thoughts on back light?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by TheGarageBay, Apr 6, 2017.

1. TheGarageBay

TheGarageBay Active Member

IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2756.JPG Hey guys finished up my first build here for a local brewery . They would like to illuminate the hexagon with a color morph led but the solution I came up with is sub par . Anyone have any input as to a good route to go ?

Cypress and Arkansas Metal Art like this.
  2. OcalaWill

OcalaWill Well-Known Member

Looks good. But maybe some frosted plexiglass in front of the LEDs and just behind the cut-outs to distribute the light more evenly?

3. LECS-Chad

LECS-Chad Guest

Look up FROSTED ACRYLIC TUBE slice in half and cover the lights. This will diffuse the LEDs without changing your layout/design.

4. LECS-Chad

LECS-Chad Guest

Oh and I really enjoy the sign that you built. Im a HUGE non-GMO, vintage, antique look person so the RUST/PAINT combo is the way I usually go.

Torchmate likes this.
  5. Arkansas Metal Art

Arkansas Metal Art Well-Known Member

Looks great! I like the yellow for a nice contrast.

Are you installing some new gauges in your hotrod? How's the borla exhaust sound? :)

Diffuser tubes work good if your LED's are bright enough. I buy these clips from amazon. They work great and fit the strips perfectly. The adhesive backing is quality, sticks well, even to painted surfaces. I would suggest running these around the perimeter of the back of the hexagon. The clips allow the LED's to set at an angle so they blend and don't shine directly on the surface. I've learned that LEDs work best if you can keep them at a distance and try to use them indirectly so you don't notice each individual light. The clips also look very professional if you take the time to space them evenly.

Amazon description: Cable Clips, Wire Clips, TeenitorĀ® Top Quality 3M Self-Adhesive Adjustable Car Cable Organizer, Desk Wall Cable Wire Clips, Computer, Electrical, Cord Cable Tie Drop (Black, 50 Pieces)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. TheGarageBay

TheGarageBay Active Member

thank you guys! the customer should be installing the sign this weekend so we will see how he feels about the lights, I do like that acrylic tube idea!